A place to display my crafts, card making, scrapbooking, and news

Crafts, cardmaking, scrapbooking, and day to day

Monday, December 15, 2014

Lighted Glass Blocks

 
Hello! I have been waiting on materials to arrive to work on Christmas presents. I received my order from Cricut this weekend, so I am so excited to work on all these glass blocks I got from Menards. There is not a Menards close to where I live, but there is one on the way from my cousin's home in Missouri. I called and ordered 20 blocks on there 2/$6 preblack Friday sale and my cousin brought them to me for Thanksgiving. She gave me a picture of her on her new horse "Party at the Ritz", but the background was not very pretty. We don't know the people in the background  and they looked bored. It took away from my cousin and her horse! I had to remedy that!
First I sprayed the block on bought sides with spray frost. It is like spray paint. I sprayed two thin coats on each side and then let it dry over night. I did glass votive holders with snowflakes and frost several years ago so I learned that the longer you wait, the less likely the frost will rub off.
 

 Then I used my design space software to erase the entire background of the photo. I printed on Cricut printable vinyl with my printer and then used my explore to cut it out perfectly.
The vinyl was like a big sticker and was so easy to apply to the glass block. I added a bow.
 I cut out the horse's name and the year with my explore and outdoor vinyl(it's what I had) and applied to the block.
 Here they are with the light on! I got these lights at the Dollar Tree.
My cousin absolutely loved the gift. Since she and her friend went to all the trouble to haul these to me, they got the first gift of the year. I was delighted to have been there and watched her ride in person. These glass blocks are perfect. They are thin and they have a large opening at the bottom with a almost silicon like material that fits in the hole and theres a round hole perfect for this light and theres also a plug for the hole, if you wanted to fill the block. Thank you for stopping by. I have been working on more cups and Christmas cards so I'll be posting those soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment